I'm making a few adjustments to the Obit list

New member information and announcements found here. Posting photo information. How to use Icons. Solving site registration problems discussed. Information about the site other than the message board is also here.

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

I'm making a few adjustments to the Obit list

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:42 pm

I changed the find by company ap by just using a single letter company designation, before I was using military phonetic designations like Alpha and Bravo. Just put in a single letter for company and hit the enter key on your keyboard and get a complete list by company. You can search by year as well as name doing the same thing. I'm going to update some of what each entry says and want to add year of service as well as platoon and include more rank information. Such information will show up in what is now headed as something else related to cause of death which we never were going to use. This will take a while. While seeing a login at the top of the page users need not login as that is only a login for me to add or change information.

If anyone knows of anyone who has died since Vietnam that is not listed let me know and let Jerry know. As we get into our senior citizen years we are starting to die off faster and faster. With the current pandemic it will be possibly even faster.

You can get to the Obituary since the war page from the home page 6thofthe31st.com or just follow this link:

http://www.6thofthe31st.com/index.php?r=obit%2Findex
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: I'm making a few adjustments to the Obit list

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:06 pm

It is done...with a little adjustment help from Jerry on a couple of names and years of service.

Now you can search the list by Company, rank, date of service, platoon in some cases, special occupations, and use any combination of the spaces in the header of the Obituary page. It is a giant battalion obituary that has been accumulated masterfully by Jerry White as well as a couple or three that wandered into this site. What this does is help refresh memories of guys you may have served with but don't remember the name.

There are a few things to keep in mind. The ranks are from whenever the name was discovered. E3's became E4's and E4's became E5's over time and sometimes the reverse if someone got in some trouble. There is no way to know at what juncture of a tour the ranks were come by. People with company field assignments often at some juncture got a job out of the field which means a HQ guy may have been an Alpha guy for instance. The way medics were sorted through Headquarters company means that by this list lots of former field medics that served with gaining companies may show as HQ members. Where I knew the company the medic served with they are included on gaining company lists. In any case, a search of "medic" in the platoon space should show all medics whatever company slot they are listed in.

Some names are associated with a specific platoon. Many aren't. If you see any information that can be filled in that you are certain of, let me know and I'll make updates.

If you know the name or any information about someone who you served with who has died since the war who you want to see added to the list let me or Jerry White know.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: I'm making a few adjustments to the Obit list

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:37 pm

I've filled in some information from information sent me recently. I just finished adding in some additional location information to a couple hundred line entries. It's obit feature is nearly as good as it's going to get with old information from what I have or Jerry has. Any new information or tweaking of information we have would be appreciated from anything you know that we don't.

Return to “Welcome and Announcements”