Who is Urban Miyares?

New member information and announcements found here. Posting photo information. How to use Icons. Solving site registration problems discussed. Information about the site other than the message board is also here.

Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Re: Who is Urban Miyares?

Postby Delta75 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:55 pm

After, supposedly, only two days in the field, and PTSD.....I don't think so.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:26 pm

Well.. he was busy in those two days working his way up through squad leader to platoon Sergeant....without even earning a CIB. It must have been the spending two days in the imaginary body bag that must have really played hell with his mind and traumatized him . :shock: :D
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:07 pm

You forgot...."Acting Platoon Leader". :) Heck if he could have only stayed out of that body bag, he might have made it all the way up to "Acting Company Commander". :)
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:23 am

Looks like he might have been DAV veteran of the year sometime previous to 2011.

http://entrepreneurswithdisabilities.or ... ng-series/
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:26 pm

See military organizations/awards below.

*National Disabled Veteran Of The Year, presented by the Disabled American Veterans (1994)

Blinded Veterans Association (BVA) life member and former national district director
Disabled American Veterans (DAV) life member
Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) life member
Vietnam Veterans of America and San Diego.
American Legion member
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:49 pm

He is nothing if not an award magnet and celebrity favorite of Presidents. Very impressive bunch of citations. Still doesn't make his war story any truer. Here's a list of awards and honors I picked up at this site advertising a speaking engagement some years ago. The national science foundation , no less.

https://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=105610

About the speaker:
Urban Miyares is a nationally-recognized blinded and multi-disabled Vietnam veteran, motivational/inspirational speaker and lecturer, entrepreneur, published writer and newspaper columnist, inventor and patent holder, media personality, world-class athlete, and president of the Disabled Businesspersons Association--a national, volunteer-based, public charity founded in 1985 to assist in the rehabilitation and self-employment of disabled veterans and others with disabilities.

Selected Achievements:
*Founded the Disabled Businesspersons Association (1985)
*U.S. National Disabled Alpine Ski Champion (B-1 Total Blind Division and world's fastest total blind skier (1990-91)
*National U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) Veteran Small Business Advocate Of The Year, Washington, D.C. (1991)
*California's Outstanding Veteran and Small Business Award, presented by former California Governor Pete Wilson (1991)
*Presidential Point Of Light Award, presented by former President George H. W. Bush (1992)
*A&E Network's National CityVideo Award Winner for the Emmy-nominated documentary "Local Heroes: Challenged America" (1992)
*National Disabled Veteran Of The Year, presented by the Disabled American Veterans (1994)
*Inc. Magazine's Entrepreneur Of The Year, Socially Responsible, presented by Inc. Magazine, Ernst & Young, Merrill Lynch (1995)
*Presidential Appointee to The White House Conference On Small Business, appointed by former President Bill Clinton (1995)
*David Schnair Volunteer Service Award, presented by the Blinded Veterans Association, Washington, D.C. (1995)
*National Samaritan Award, presented by the Acton Institute, Grand Rapids, Mich. (1995)
*National Spokesperson for the 1996 Olympic Torch Relay to Atlanta, selected by the Coca Cola Corporation, Atlanta, Ga. (1996)
*U.S. Congressional Black Caucus Veteran Braintrust Award (2001)
*Transpacific Yacht Race, Team CHALLENGED AMERICA, skipper -- 4th Place (2003)
*U.S. Sailing Association's "National Year-Round Program of the Year,” presented to Challenged America (2004)
*U.S. Sailing Association's "National Outstanding Inclusion Sailing Program," presented to Challenged America (2005)
*Transpacific Yacth Race, Team CHALLENGED AMERICA, skipper --4th (2005) Place

Selected affiliations and activities:
Challenged America co-founder and director (http://www.ChallengedAmerica.org)
Accion San Diego, micro-lender and founding board member
American Entrepreneurs for Economic Growth member
Blinded Veterans Association (BVA) life member and former national district director
Disabled American Veterans (DAV) life member
Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) life member
Paralyzed Veterans Association, Cal-Diego PVA associate member
Vietnam Veterans of America and San Diego Vietnam Veterans American Legion member
Taking Control. Of Your Diabetes faculty member and lecturer
Diabetes Exercise Sports Association member
Seeing Eye Graduate Society founding member
Special Kids In The Community mentor
YEP! -- Young Entrepreneurs with disabilities (after-school) Program -- founder/mentor
Transpacific Yacht Club member

-NSF-
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:43 pm

Same list that I extracted my examples from.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:38 pm

I don't know about you, Jerry, but I think we are at the end of the road. I think you did as well as anyone could have expected, particularly considering your lack of support from the one organization that might have contributed some added support. The story is out there, thanks to you, and in some lingering sense, Karl Lowe, on a respectable public site that makes it a point to shine a light on people who use false military stories to advance their own agendas. The story will be there a while for discovery by anybody that googles his name. The internet video's from the Sky Ball and the local San Diego veterans show have been removed by the producers in sympathy after YouTube comments and emails made by a number of people got their attention. There aren't many other video traces left that repeat his story...certainly no fresh ones.

Whatever Miyare's future biography repeats of his regular war story won't likely be seen as subject to Stolen Valor Act scrutiny since he never ever has mentioned nor claimed , as far as we know, any medals or acts of valor and his promised book is likely to be the same. As to the question of profit from his false stories, I'd think, with his public non profit connections it would be difficult to impossible to prove he ever personally profited by his public appearances where he told his highly imaginary war story. Telling untrue "war stories" in itself is ,as I understand it, considered as free speech.

I think it's over for me. In the end, Miyares knows that his story is now questioned and the details of why are out there. He can't bury what has been uncovered. It will be there for anyone to discover and judge for themselves. I'm ready to move on to something else.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:29 am

Niner.....thank you very, very much for supporting our effort to expose Urban Miyares' fabricated Vietnam "experience". Miyares's achievements as a disabled Vietnam veteran are certainly to be commended; however, for him to attempt to utilize his Vietnam "experience" in order to embellish his life experiences should be considered as absolutely unacceptable to all veterans. I certainly look forward to reading his autobiography and commenting, possibly via Amazon.com, as to his Vietnam "experience" as he describes it in his book. Hopefully he will present a "truthful" experience; however, this is doubtful since, over the many years of his speaking of his "experience", I believe that, counter to the documented evidence that we have provided him and counter to his own admitting to me via several emails (still in my possession), he has now actually convinced himself that his "experience" is true.

Your support has been unwavering throughout the last 3 years, and it has been greatly appreciated. Especially when one considers that the 31st Regiment Association, to which were both were once Lifetime Members, declined to provide us with their support. To clarify what I mean by "support": We were asking the Association only for their "verbal" support as an organization. This would have required no "manpower and/or resources"...and...certainly no funding. We had already completed all of the "leg work". I am afraid that the truth is, they were fearful that Urban might take some legal action against the Association, and they were not willing to take that chance. This was basically the position expressed by their legal counsel when this issue originally surfaced in 2014, and, apparently, it appears to be their position today.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:04 pm

Col Corson, had this to say in the latest Regiment Association newsletter. See the Attachment. Left click image to make larger.

In May, 2017, Col Corson said this in an email to me after I sent him links to information about Miyares after a selected group email I sent in support of Jerry inspired him to email me with objections...see earlier posts in this string. Obviously this new explanation of the Regiment position has been arrived at more recently. In May he didn't seem to know anything about what had been going on since 2014 or even who Miyares was.
......After looking at what you have sent I still do not understand what UM said or did. What I know is he was not found to be a recorded member of 6/31 as he may have said. But what he did or stated other than that I have no idea. I have never heard of him or heard anything he said.
Attachments
Story.jpg
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:19 pm

Well....Col Corson's version is correct in several aspects; however, he certainly got the part about Karl supporting the Association's position totally incorrect. As you and I both know, Karl did "not" agree with their decision and offered to assist me in pursuing the issue. At the time, Karl knew that he didn't have much time left and to quote Karl...."Why don't you let me take the first shot at Miyares, I don't have anything to lose".

Jerry
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:26 pm

Whatever has gone before with the Association and whatever they have or haven't known or whatever their shape shifting and differing positions, or actions or lack of action, they do say now, a statement in black and white that is something that can't be twisted, erased, nor easily denied. This is a good outcome. "The Association agrees that a significant part of Urban's combat story is a fabrication."

That was all that had been asked of it before.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:04 pm

Very true!!!! The 31st Regiment Association has finally provided us with all that we had ever asked for.....that is, their "verbal support" that the story being told by Urban Miyares, of his platoon being wiped out and of his being placed into a body bag for 2 days, is fabricated.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:36 pm

Question from some of our 6/31st Brothers: Now that the Association has finally agreed, via the latest 31st Regiment Association Newsletter, that "A significant part of Urban's combat story is a fabrication", will you and Robert Stewart consider rejoining the Association?

I can only answer for myself...Robert will, I am sure, answer for himself. My "long" response is as follows:

I was certainly pleased that Col Corson (Senior Director) finally brought the Miyares issue to the attention of the 31st Association membership via the latest 31st Regiment Association Newsletter. As far as I know, this is the very first time that the Association has ever mentioned the Urban Miyares issue to its membership. In early 2014, the discussion was restricted to a very few. Apparently only Bill Owen (the 31st Regiment Association commander), Clark Washington (legal counsel), Chuck McCammon (Membership Chair), and Karl Lowe (Senior Director) were aware, and from my end, the discussion was restricted to emails.

In general I found most of the newsletter article to be a pretty good summary of the basic issue; however, I am afraid that I must take exception to the comment that Karl Lowe was in agreement with the Association's decision. Quite to the contrary, as clear from numerous postings in this forum, Karl did "not" agree with the Association's decision as exemplified by a comment in one of Karl's emails to me "after" the Association made its decision to "not" provide their "verbal support". Karl provided the following input to me as he realized that he did not have much time remaining "Jerry, let me take the first shot at Miyares, I have nothing to lose".

From the email copy/pasted below (from the 6/31st website), from Col Corson to Robert Stewart, it appears that even Col Corson was unaware of Urban Miyares until recently. In addition, General Wetzel (Honorary Commander) was not even made aware of the Urban Miyares issue until approximately a month ago..

Posting from Robert Stewart....6/31st website:

"In May, 2017, Col Corson said this in an email to me after I sent him links to information about Miyares after a selected group email I sent in support of Jerry inspired him to email me with objections...see earlier posts in this string. Obviously this new explanation of the Regiment position has been arrived at more recently. In May he didn't seem to know anything about what had been going on since 2014 or even who Miyares was".

Col Corson's email to Robert Stewart:

"......After looking at what you have sent I still do not understand what UM said or did. What I know is he was not found to be a recorded member of 6/31 as he may have said. But what he did or stated other than that I have no idea. I have never heard of him or heard anything he said".

In closing: Again, Robert will speak for himself; however, as for me, since it took the Association leadership over 3 years to bring this issue to the attention of their membership, and to finally agree that Miyares is, in fact, telling a fabricated story, I am afraid that I have lost confidence in the Association leadership, and, therefore, have no desire to be a part of the Association.

Jerry White
Delta Company/1969
"Caretaker" of the 6/31st Roster
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:34 pm

My feeling on the subject of the Association is this. The Regiment Association leadership operates in secrecy on issues that should be open to the membership for discussion if it were a democratically functioning veteran organization. But it isn't that kind of organization. If the named officers saw themselves as elected officers of an organization that is made up of veteran civilians, they would likely find it their elected duty to act in accordance with the interests of those that elected them and even sometimes put questions to a vote of the membership....all of the membership. However, the leaders, the real leaders, have long been of the opinion that the Association is a subset of the US Army and, as part of the Army, the people at the top decide and those at the bottom must accept what they decide. When Miyares inserted himself as a subject of interest by his facebook posts on the 6th of the 31st facebook page and asked if people remembered him, and posted a link to the Skyball speech with all the outlandish claims, the Association leadership in 2014 turned their backs because he was of no interest to their actual reason for being. To them, it was a problem that, if addressed, would do nothing for support and unity with the modern Army and the present day 4/31st. Refuting Miyares would bake no bread. The leadership in 2017 followed the same course until they felt pressure to take a stand just recently to keep from having a mutiny of unknown size among 6/31st guys in their membership.

The problem is.....the Association is not what a lot of us hoped it would be as a veteran organization that would encourage and aid social connections with people we served with in combat, although, a dozen years ago, it wasn't nearly as fixed in its agenda as it is today. The leadership of the Association now sees the Association as purely a support arm of the active 4/31st and any resemblance to a democratically run civilian veteran organization is only coincidental. All old veterans,such as ourselves, as members, are seen as welcome cheer leaders for the modern battalion but otherwise now out of focus as "members"....and sad to say.... even though most of the front men Association officers are old 6/31st men they have empty titles and serve no actual function. And if you doubt the "front men" comment...just ask any of them if they have ever actually ever done anything as an officer of the Association.

I'm done with the 31st Regiment Association in every way, shape and form.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:33 am

The following email was sent to all the 6th/31st men for whom we have an email address, on the 6th/31st roster. I will not include the article below, since it is available above in Robert's entry.

Hello 6th/31st,

Since many of you men do not receive the 31st Regiment Association newsletter, because you are not members of the Association, I thought that I would forward to you an article that appeared in the most recent newsletter related to Urban Miyares.

For those of you who might not remember, Urban Miyares is a disabled Vietnam vet who includes some outlandish Alpha Company, 6th/31st, 1968 Vietnam "experiences" in his paid speaking engagements. We first became aware of these "experiences" in March 2014 when he posted to the 6th/31st Facebook page.

I would like to thank Col Ron Corson (Senior Director) for including the following in the latest newsletter:

I was certainly pleased that Col Corson (Senior Director) finally brought the Miyares issue to the attention of the 31st Association membership via the latest 31st Regiment Association Newsletter. As far as I know, this is the very first time that the Association has ever mentioned the Urban Miyares issue to its membership. In March - April (not "late") 2014, the discussion of the Urban Miyares issue was restricted to a very few. Apparently only Bill Owen (31st Regiment Association Commander), Clark Washington (legal counsel), Chuck McCammon (Membership Chair), and Karl Lowe (Senior Director) were envolved, and from my end, the discussion was restricted to emails.

In general I found most of the newsletter article to be a fairly accurate summary of the basic issue; however, I am afraid that I must take exception to the comment that Karl Lowe was in agreement with the Association's decision. Quite to the contrary, Karl did "not" agree with the Association's decision as exemplified by a comment in one of Karl's emails to me "after" the Association made its decision to "not" provide their "verbal support" (which was all that we had ever requested). Karl provided the following input to me as he realized that he did not have much time remaining "Jerry, let me take the first shot at Miyares, I have nothing to lose". Due to his declining health, Karl resigned his position as Senior Director in April 2014, and, sadly, passed away 11/07/2014. Another statement that concerns me is "Jerry White and several other members requested that the Association do more than report the apparent fake aspects of Miyares story". This seems to imply that the Association "did" actually "report the apparent fake aspects of Miyares story". This never happened. Until Col Corson wrote this article for the newsletter, no mention was ever made to the 31st Regiment Association membership, related to this subject, by the leadership of the Association. As a matter of fact, as late as May 2017, Col Corson stated the following: "After looking at what you have sent I still do not understand what UM said or did. What I know is he was not found to be a recorded member of 6/31 as he may have said. But what he did or stated other than that I have no idea. I have never heard of him or heard anything he said". It is clear, therefore, that until May 2017, even Col Corson (the Senior Director) was unaware of the Urban Miyares issue. In addition, it also became clear in May of 2017 that General Wetzel (Honorary Commander) had never been made aware of the Urban Miyares issue. It seems quite clear that, in 2014, only a very few within the 31st Regiment Association were aware of Urban Miyares.

In closing I would like to thank the Association for finally providing, after over 3 years, all that we had ever asked from them; that is, their "verbal support". We believe that they have provided this with their following comment....."The Association agrees that a significant part of Urbans' combat story is a fabrication".

Happy July 4th

Return to “Welcome and Announcements”