There was server failure recently

New member information and announcements found here. Posting photo information. How to use Icons. Solving site registration problems discussed. Information about the site other than the message board is also here.

Niner Alpha
Site Admin

There was server failure recently

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:10 pm

You will notice lots of error message repeats in some of the forums. The site was transferred to a new server the first of the week because of a catastrophic server failure and in the transfer errors occurred in the message board and new image uploads. This also took out some site features and controls for the time being.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: There was server failure recently

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:27 pm

The night light that this forum has long been for the 6th of the 31st is about to be turned off for good I hate to say.
Some time ago I had come to the conclusion that when the next major site failure came along it would not be worth the continued effort and expense of maintaining it. That time has arrived even though the cancer is only in the message board and the photo upload to the opening collage page at the moment.

This site hasn't had any significant donations to it's maintenance since a one time $500 contribution by one generous soul back in 2015. The next largest contribution that this site has ever had would be in the $25 or so range, and only a handful of such donations in most of the site history, and there have come no donations in the last year. That $500 donation was used as a token payment to my son for the addition of the obituary page back in 2015. Now things have come to a head with a problem that will take more than a quick fix. I don't want to spend one more dime on it nor do I want my son to devote one unpaid moment more on it. I'm going to ask him to delete the site after the first of the year and not devote any of his time to fixing it when he could be devoting that time to work which pays him and supports his family.

This site was the platform for some truly satisfying things over the years. It has brought many men together who would otherwise not have made a late life re-connection with guys they remember from that war long ago. It has been a link to the National Infantry Museum and has contributed photos from the album and the Blue book to the history maintained there. It has remembered in a dedicated page the boys that died from the battalion that are listed on the Wall in Washington DC. It has outlined the battalion history. It has shared thousands of photographs. It has promoted the only ever battalion reunion that has ever been. It has listed those who have died since the war as I learn of their passing. It has, in the past, tried to prick the conscience of the 31st Regiment Association and get them to be more responsive to what good they could do ...with little result.... but at least I tried. It has been fun and important at the same time ...for me at least... as a task to undertake in creating this site over more than a decade and a half.
Ron
Sponsor 2016

Re: There was server failure recently

Postby Ron » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:24 pm

Robert,

Too Bad - So Sad! You (this site) will be missed by those of us who have been using your site over the years. I know Thursday night chat sessions haven't gathered any more bodies since "type chat" dropped off, but heh, contacts by FB and emails haven't been any much of an improvement either.
Guess since the big reunions were held things have gone downhill since, including membership increase on the 31st Polar Bear group!

Hard to keep any website up and running relating to the 9th I.D. , 6/31st or the 31st! :(

End of Mission!

Return to “Welcome and Announcements”