SP packs..........

Subjects about any topic that comes to mind are welcome here.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

SP packs..........

Postby Niner Delta » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:55 pm

A friend gave me some magazines about the Viet Nam war and on one of the pages was a photo of guys
taking cartons of cigarettes, candy, and other item out of a big cardboard box with big black "SP"
letters on it. The caption said it was a "Sundries Package" being shared by the men. I remember them,
but never knew what SP meant or who sent them. Am guessing the Army furnished them to us.
Anyone know for sure where they came from?

Vern.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: SP packs..........

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:09 pm

I suspect they came from the same people that provided the C rations. I do know by the time I got to them all that were left were unfiltered Camels and Pall Malls. I remember the Pall Malls were in a red package and the favorite name for them were "red balls". I think that was about what color your nuts would be if you smoked too many of them.
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:10 pm

That's true Robert, the first to go were the Winstons and the Marlboros, I didn't get them either.... :mrgreen:
The first summer after high school and again before I went into the Army, I worked in a logging camp,
(yes a real eye opener for a kid) and the cheapest cigarettes they sold in the company store were Pall Malls,
so I was used to smoking them.But in Nam I started smoking menthols, so I got the Salems from the SP pack.
And I smoked menthols until I quit smoking in the late '80s.

Vern.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:39 pm

Seems like the black guys all liked the mental ones. I don't see how you got any Newport or Kools or whatever other there were unless you got in line early.
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:23 pm

The only menthols I remember getting were Salem.......
Vern.

Return to “Shooting the Breeze”