Our "Values"

Subjects about any topic that comes to mind are welcome here.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Our "Values"

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue May 29, 2018 4:26 pm

Now days if somebody in the public eye says something mean or racist or sexist, or in some way insulting, then somebody else in the public eye condemns them as not aligning with their "values" and the miscreant is fired or black listed or black balled or now made to wear a scarlet letter for the public to see in the media.

Looks like Roseanne Barr has been working overtime on social media to castigate a Black woman who was a former Obama top aid with a snide, racist, joke after at about the same time attacking Hillary Clinton's daughter for being somehow attached to one of her mothers billionaire supporters George Soros....and attacking Soros largely with untrue statements. Dumb no doubt to run amok with such statements on her part on social media. So she was fired and the number one ABC show that she was featured in was canceled...like cutting off their hand because of an ugly hangnail developed or a Japanese honor suicide. She did not reflect ABC network "values". Not only that.........everybody connected to her, or nearly so, has broken ties because Roseanne doesn't reflect their "values" either.
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/201 ... arrett-ape

Having"Values" seem to be the favorite latest notion...and fad. The line in the sand that nobody better cross on pain of being unfriended, or fired, or not voted for if running for something, and certainly not watched if an actor in a movie or on TV. In politics, in Alabama right now, every politician in the various races claim to support "Alabama Values". The only problem is nobody seems to know where the list of those "values" are. I must say the Alabama "values" among politicians would probably include words like "conservative", "Church going", "2nd Amendment supporter", "believer in trump" and the only thing that they claim to promise is "more jobs" as a primary quasi value. There are probably some darker values in there that aren't any more than hinted at with ethnic or racist overtones that can never be spoken under pain of violating some "values" clauses.

Suppose we started drawing lines between us and our friends and relatives and cast them off if they didn't measure up to our "values". Of course nobody is going to write down and codify those values..... we just know what they are. It works something like a conscience I'd imagine. And values can change a bit over time. For instance, politicians come and go. Nobody would cut off a friend because he once voted for Bill Clinton or thought Bill Cosby was a good role model for black people. Bill is done and gone and Cosby will either go to jail or die of old age first and he is now more thought of as a role model for dirty old perverts.

At least it's not likely anybody we reject because they don't share our values will suffer the loss of a job or anything that anyone would notice or cause actual hurt. But...sad to say....I find myself mentally checking my friends out according to my "value " system and sometimes cast them out into the darkness for one thing or the other....without actually notifying them. But.... next thing happens.... we go fishing or start talking about cameras or guns...and.....so.... I mentally bring them back on the inside of the line. I'm glad I didn't tell them they didn't measure up to my "value" system before I brought them back into the fold again. Works better that way in the long run.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Our "Values"

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu May 31, 2018 10:32 am

Here is one I saw today of a Baptist Church leader wanting a statue of Jesus removed from the outside of his church where it has been stuck to the wall for the last ten years because a Jesus statue looks Catholic and violates their "core values".

“We have discovered that there are people that view the art as Catholic in nature,” Wright wrote in the letter to Delbert Baker Jr. He added that the statue and reliefs brought into question “the theology and core values” of Red Bank Baptist church, but he did not elaborate.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... o-catholic

When a Christian church finds that a statue of Jesus violates their core values maybe things have gone off the deep end in the "values" department.

Return to “Shooting the Breeze”