Branson Ride the Ducks tragedy

Subjects about any topic that comes to mind are welcome here.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Branson Ride the Ducks tragedy

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:28 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... table-lake

First report. Eight people dead after Ride the Ducks boat capsizes on Table Lake.
Ron
Sponsor 2016

Re: Branson Ride the Ducks tragedy

Postby Ron » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:10 am

Been watching the news media on this tragic event on Table Rock Lake. Wonder why there wasn't anyone wearing those life jackets on the duck boats like the ones pointed out to us, even if there was a 'micro burst' storm about to hit. Seems there must have been at least something of a warning before those high winds came across the lake.
Something as tragic as that I imagine is apt to change boat touring policies from now on.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:19 am

From a news video somebody made with their phone it looked like the windows were closed and the bow end was being washed over. If the Duck went down with the windows closed it would have been difficult to escape I'd imagine. The entrance and exit was to the rear with steps that would drop down. Here's a photo from the 2015 Branson Duck ride that a lot of us went on ....and enjoyed. There were no closed off windows.

Notice the life preservers in the the overhead.
Attachments
life.jpg
Ron
Sponsor 2016

Postby Ron » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:55 pm

Yes, I could see that the "window blinds" we're in place, so I that being said, there still have been conditions when to grab those overhead preserves and drop those windows to escape safely.
Just saying!
Guess it's my past experience to always watch for where the PFD's are kept if the need arises.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:58 pm

Five people were killed and 69 injured in a 2015 crash on Seattle’s Aurora Bridge.
If I remember right, it broke an axle and crossed the centerline and hit a tour bus.
The owners were fined $500,000....... :shock:

duck.jpg
Vern.
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:34 pm

The death toll now is up to 17 in Branson, how sad. Those ducks don't have a good record..... :shock:
1999 - Arkansas - 13 dead.
2010 - Philadelphia - 2 dead
2015 - Philadelphia - 1 dead.. (on land)
2015 - Seattle - 5 dead.. (on land)
2016 - Boston - 1 dead.. (on land)
2018 - Branson - 17 dead

39 dead in 19 years... :shock:

I would be surprised if they continue to operate without some drastic safety measure changes, if they
are allowed to operate at all.

Vern.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:45 pm

After the lawyers get through with the Ride the Ducks in Branson I got a feeling there will be no more Ride the Ducks in Branson.... and maybe anywhere else.

What I want to know is how is it that there are so many franchises? We got them in Mobile. How many of those things from probably WWII can still exist? That guy who owns the concession in Mobile, when asked, says his are safe because he has Coast Guard approved "captains" who have to be certified for running a boat with passengers. And the local concern has an on board person, also Coast Guard trained and approved, to act as the responsible person in regard to passengers. Maybe handing out life preservers would have been that persons responsibility.

In Branson, there was no other person but the driver when we went on them at the 2015 reunion. And the lake was pretty calm that day. No coverings on the windows to block out rain, seas, or bugs, if there were any. If it sunk or even turned over you could swim out probably. I didn't feel like it was dangerous at all.
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:20 pm

One of the things I read said they use the hulls from WWII DUKWs, but the engine and transmission
are new stuff. Although is sounds like the axles are old.

Vern.
Ron
Sponsor 2016

Postby Ron » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:36 pm

As I remember from our Branson Reunion and the Duck Boat rides our vinyl side windows were all rolled up being we had calm seas and beautiful weather.
It was also brought to our attention that, yes, engines and transmissions were the latest updates.

Guess that $100 million dollar lawsuit will pretty much shut things down for those WWII boat rides, unless they come up with a better and safer alternative.
Niner Delta

Postby Niner Delta » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:26 pm

When I was a kid, we lived near the ocean...actually the Strait of Juan de Fuca, and there
was a lot of logging industry back then that towed logs to mills in rafts. Often stray logs ended up
on the beach rear us. This old guy had a surplus DUKW that he used to pull logs off the beach and
make his own small rafts and tow them to the mills with a small tug.
Anyway, he used to let us kids ride with him to tow the logs off the beach out to the raft, we thought
it was great fun and never worried about no life jackets or falling overboard or any other safety equipment.
But we also drank out of hoses and rode in the back of pickup trucks...... :mrgreen:
I'm sure doing that now would be a death penalty offense.... :roll:

Vern.

Return to “Shooting the Breeze”