The great Star license crash that is coming

Subjects about any topic that comes to mind are welcome here.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

The great Star license crash that is coming

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:13 pm

Thanks to the making America afraid Homeland Security segment of the US government, with the active help of Congress, most people in the US will have to have a STAR indication on their drivers license showing they have been scrutinized before being allowed through the normal security line at airports in the US starting in October of 2020. Although if you have a passport or a few other excluding credentials you may be able to continue to fly on commercial airlines in the US without the star, most of us are going to have to have a star on our drivers license or ID or we won't be doing any flying.

I got mine the other day. It's not like you can just go to the nearest license office in your locality. You have to go to the one location where the process can take place. You need a laundry list of documents..... birth certificate certified by the state, your SS card, your old drivers license, some officially produced papers like voter registration card, utility bill, etc., more than one. There is a laundry list of stuff you can look up online. I almost didn't have enough even after going over the list, but was saved by being able to produce my vehicle registration as one more piece of paper on the stack.

Now the point of posting this is that if you haven't gotten your STAR yet you better consider doing it soon. I had to wait over two hours to get to the window. That's because only one office, which is also the where if you want to do anything to a license other than to renew it is where you will likely have to go. In this particular office every case of anything not related to homeland security is also handled involving drivers licenses in my state. What's going to happen a year from now when large numbers of people who haven't gone through the gauntlet already and suddenly realize they aren't getting on any airplane without the star license is not pretty to image.
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Re: The great Star license crash that is coming

Postby Delta75 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:24 pm

Sounds like it might be easier just to get a passport.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:41 pm

In WA state it is called an "enhanced" driver's license. I got one when I moved back here from AZ.
It did take some time, but I only had to bring a couple of documents.
It is good for driving (not flying) to and from Canada and Mexico without a passport.
And only good for domestic flights. Coming from AZ and getting a new enhanced WA license, the
whole thing cost me $107 and only good for 6 years. One of the good things about AZ was that your
license was good until you turned 60, even if you got it at 16. Although you do have to update the photo
and pass vision test every 12 years.
I'm sure that next summer there will be a big deal on the news about it and if they don't have one by Oct,
they are too stupid to buy a plane ticket anyway. But yes, the lines will be long........

Vern.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:26 am

I was talking to a guy from Oregon and he insisted he had a star license and he didn't have to provide any paperwork like a birth certificate. I took a look online and read the Oregon license information. Seems they actually aren't issuing government compliant star licences until June of 2020 and at which time he will have to get in line with the required information same as everywhere else in the country. It's going to be a a big kerfuffle in a few states come October a year from now.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:38 am

Just noted another thing about it that might concern the Regiment Association. If they go back to meet with the active 4/31st at Ft. Drum again as a reunion in 2021 or afterwards, besides the reunion goers who can't fly there, the ones who don't have a star license and drive there can't come on the base. That will also be true of any military base they hold reunions.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:22 am

In Texas I was issued a license with a star when I renewed my license on line the end of last year.

No additional information was required. There appears to be a significant difference as to requirements depending on the state.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:45 pm

Did the Texas license application ask if you if you had a passport? The passport requires as much and maybe more than the star license to get. In any case, I hate flying and don't plan to take any airplane trips that I can avoid any time in the future.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:37 pm

To the best of my memory....the on line request form asked for nothing related to proof of ID. So no...no request for passport info. Maybe it’s an age thing in Texas.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:44 pm

Where WA has both types of license and you pay extra for the star/enhanced one, it seems Texas went to issuing a
star license only, about 3 years ago. And the Texas DMV website doesn't mention any extra documents
to get the star license, they just send it to you like Jerry said. I guess they figure that Texans are more trustworthy
than the rest of us.......... :mrgreen:

Vern.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:54 pm

Maybe Texas doesn't think the federal government should start files of information on its citizens just because it can.

Return to “Shooting the Breeze”