Future Reunions

Reunions of any size and any discription. If you have one to promote, this is the place. If you have photos or comments about past reunions this is also the place.

Moderator: Delta75

Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Future Reunions

Postby Delta75 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:40 am

I wonder with the lingering effects of Covid 19, along with us all getting older, if the reunion days are in the past?
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: Future Reunions

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:04 pm

Age is getting to all of us. Most of us probably remember more people, close friends as well as not so close friends, relatives, workmates and assorted enemies too, that are now passed on than we do those still living by at least twice. Sometimes the thought crosses my mind that I should just go down to the waiting room at the mortuary and wait for my name to be called and save the cost of an intermediate stop at the hospital. However,most days, when I don't have the black ass, I just do things that amuse me and try to live life one day at a time and don't look back only forward. Lately I miss looking forward to short vacations, now quashed, with the damn pandemic. Short trips have become more important to me in later years. Maybe I'll just say screw it and get a condo at the Gulf and see if I can get a seat in one of my favorite restaurants.

Some never wanted to look back on their Vietnam experience. Some for good reason....the skaters and dopers and rear echelon criminals who let others take their chances in the field in their place while they clung to basecamp. Some remember nightmares that are either tamed or put out of mind and are afraid of reviving them at a reunion. Some can't bring themselves to face any touching of what's in their minds that they have long tried to escape.

Some think the point of the reunions is friendship when what they are really about is making a connection with people who went through the same things. "Do you remember me?" can be an important moment if answered with a yes. The most important payoff of a reunion is "I'm ok. You're ok." It's about realizing we are not alone in surviving and having had lives.

The 31st Regiment Association never understood what was important about reunions. It's just become a cheerleading society for the active Army that happens to have a battalion with a Regiment number assigned to it. The only way to have another Branson is for someone to organize it. But I'm done. Certainly this site attracts little attention and nearly no posts so maybe the answer is that it is over and there will be no more true reunions.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:35 pm

I must admit that after our updating the Obituary section and notifying almost 500 men on our 6/31st roster, I expected to see increased activity on this website. However, we didn’t get even a handful of men signing into the guestbook.

One thing, however, is very clear....you have provided, hands down, the best Vietnam vet site on the internet. So thank you very much for all of your hard work over the last 20 or so years. I am just so sorry to see that more men haven’t taken advantage of all the information that your website contains.

Sadly, you are probably correct, it appears that the interest in the past is over.

Thanks for the good times my Brother....job well done.

Delta75 out.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:54 pm

Just looked at my profile and have been here for 18 years and a week. Time flies.
I totally agree with Jerry, this has been the best vet site around, and I too say thanks
for all the work you and your son have put into this site.
Maybe the reunion days are coming to an end, although I have never attended one.
We all are getting up there in years, most 6/31st vets are at least pushing 70.

Vern.
Delta75

Postby Delta75 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:24 pm

Further proof that “it’s over”?
Facebook is supposed to be the “gem” of social media and the 6th 31st 9th Infantry Facebook page doesn’t seem to be attracting very much activity at all.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:29 pm

At any given time lots of ...somebody or something... is watching this site. As I type this after the Thursday chat at 10.25 pm there were three people looking at this one post before I started typing. Now....maybe the majority of the lookers are spambots looking for a way to infest this site like termites looking for a home...but maybe a lot of them aren't. There were more than 25 looking at something on the site before I opened this string.

In any case, Jerry, Vern, and myself have enjoyed the ride. When it's gone the 6th of the 31st as a subject of interest will go too for those who have any connection to it. Maybe that's a good thing.

Return to “Reunion events Past, Present, Future”