CPL James W Speer

This is the place to remember those who died in their youth in Vietnam in service with the 6/31st and those who have died since. Family members are encouraged to post here. All death notices and information that the site acquires from whatever sources will be posted here as well.
sissuzi

CPL James W Speer

Postby sissuzi » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:10 am

Hi,

First of all I'm a newbie, so please be gentle! :) And secondly, I would like to thank each and everyone of you and your families for your personal sacrifice and service for our country. I humbly appreciate you all!

My Uncle Jim was my hero, not just because of his service to our county but, because of who he was. I recently discovered there were pictures from Vietnam of buddies and was hoping to see if anyone here knew them or you are in the pictures and are here. I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing this, so I am hoping you all can maybe help me out.

https://army.togetherweserved.com/army/ ... n&ID=69767

http://www.vvmf.org/Wall-of-Faces/49090/JAMES-W-SPEER

Here's a couple of links to my Uncle's information.

God bless you all and thank you for any assistance you are able to give me.

Jackie Zugg
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: CPL James W Speer

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:20 am

Jackie, glad you could get past the login question to post. It's there to keep out spambots and has been a double edged sword in keeping people like yourself on the other side of the fence unintentionally. It's good you got around it.

Your uncle ..from records.. got in country on March 24, 1969. He was assigned to Alpha Company. He was killed by a mine on May 23, 1969. That was only a short time in country and it's likely he hadn't time to develop any close friends. It was often that way it seems. Worst kind of way to go when the guys you served along side of hadn't had time to really know your name when the end came.

On the day he came to Alpha company there was a notorious action involving Alpha as a blocking force attached to a battalion directed by Col David Hackworth and written about in a book called Steel My Soldier's Hearts. He may have been a replacement for one of the three men lost that day in Alpha.

From Vern Weed's comments in the timeline, when Jim Speer's died it was the start of the rainy season. It was a mine that killed your uncle and nobody else died that day so it is unknown from records if anybody else was wounded from the explosion.

Take a look in the photo album and look at the Alpha photos. Maybe you will catch a glimpse of him in one photo or the other...however....not every set of photos were from the same period of time. Some were from guys there earlier and some later. Probably at least half the albums could contain at least some photos from your uncle's time.

With a little luck some Alpha guy from the time will read this and remember your uncle and post something or contact you otherwise.

Robert Stewart
Attachments
391078.jpg
391078.jpg (122.6 KiB) Viewed 112 times
sissuzi

Postby sissuzi » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:40 pm

Thank you very much for your reply Mr. Robert!

Thankfully the internet is also good to look up the answers to your challenge question! :wink:

You have given me much more information than I knew, I thought he was in country April and died in May. I knew he was KIA from a land mine, I was a whopping 8 at the time.

I actually have some pictures that he took that my mom found out about from my aunt who now has all his things. I would love to post them somewhere here if it would be ok, I sure wouldn't want to offend anyone. I'm hoping maybe some might be here or know some of them.

And, thank you for being gentle with the newbie, it is MUCH appreciated!! :D

Jackie Zugg
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:07 pm

Be glad to see the photos. You can scan and post as an attachment at the end of a post. At the bottom of a post page you will see a box "Attachments". Hit that and you will see an "add files". Hit the "add files" and upload from your computer whatever photos you want as long as they aren't gigantic files and it is best to have them saved as jpgs. You can add several in a post.....one at a time. Each time you hit the "add files" you can add another. We might be able to find out more about your uncle and find somebody who remembers him, who may not be looking at the site, by seeing who else may be in his photos. We have a very large list of email contacts we can draw on.
sissuzi

Postby sissuzi » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:40 pm

Great! Ohhh I wondered how one did that!!
Attachments
UJim27.jpg
UJim3.jpg
sissuzi

Postby sissuzi » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:43 pm

More
Attachments
UJim34.jpg
UJim33.jpg
UJim32.jpg
UJim31.jpg
UJim30.jpg
UJim28.jpg
UJim4.jpg
sissuzi

Postby sissuzi » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:48 pm

More
Attachments
UJim55.jpg
UJim54.jpg
UJim51.jpg
UJim49.jpg
UJim47.jpg
UJim46.jpg
UJim45.jpg
UJim43.jpg
UJim41.jpg
UJim39.jpg
UJim37.jpg
UJim36.jpg
sissuzi

Postby sissuzi » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:50 pm

Some I'm going to have to crop some, they are too big to attach.
Attachments
UJim72.jpg
UJim60.jpg
UJim59.jpg
UJim58.jpg
UJim57.jpg
UJim56.jpg
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:57 pm

Thanks for adding the photos. I wasn't in Alpha until the end of January of 1970. Some of the guys...or most of the guys.... in the photos probably would have derosed by the time I got there. I think I may be able to recognize three of the photos but I'm not sure . I sent an email to someone who might be able to tell me if my guesses are right or not. Hope some other Alpha guys from the time will take a look and see if they can identify the people in the photos.

I think it is pretty likely that most of the photos were taken at Dong Tam.

Mirl Hollabough photos show the horseshoe scene at Dong Tam.

The top collage is from your photos and Mike Kirby's photos at Dong tam.
Attachments
hocus-001.jpg
horseshoes.jpg
horseshoes2.jpg
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:44 am

I don't know for sure who any of them are ...but from the Blue Book which was made at the very end of 69 I'll take a guess that James was in 1st Platoon and a few of the faces look very much like some in the Blue book. The thing about Vietnam was that unless you came over on a boat with a complete new to Vietnam unit, everybody would fall into an individual replacement slot with very individual deros dates and guys who were there in March, April or May of 69 would often have been rotated out by December of 69 when the book was made.

I posted on a facebook page not associated with this site, but associated with the 6th of the 31st, to see if some of them that follow that page will take a look and maybe expand the chance that someone in Alpha at the time might comment on the photos and hopefully remember James. The facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/groups/66665279461/
Attachments
forinstance.jpg
sissuzi

Postby sissuzi » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:09 am

Oh wow! This is fantastic!

I do have some other pictures he took surrounding countryside & people.

Thanks again for all your help Mr. Robert!
Attachments
UJim69.jpg
UJim68.jpg
UJim67.jpg
UJim67.jpg
UJim50.jpg
UJim40.jpg
UJim22.jpg
UJim17.jpg
UJim22.jpg
UJim18.jpg
sissuzi

Postby sissuzi » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:18 am

*sighs* Looks like I posted a bunch of duplicates!
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:33 am

I've started an album in the company album section with your uncle's photos. I've included these last in that album. Thanks for sharing.

http://www.6thofthe31st.com/gallery/ind ... ames-Speer
sissuzi

Postby sissuzi » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:14 pm

Now I have a dumb question, can I also post pictures to the album?
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:38 pm

The album was locked to new posting since there is no capture on it to keep out spam posts. I've tried it without any capture to open it to comment several times but it fills up with all sorts of spam posts really fast and we get no comments at the same time. We could use a better album source....but such things cost money and donations to the site are about non existent. So it is what it is.

Any photos you post here I can add to the album though.

If you want to comment under any of the photos tell me what photos and what comments in a pm and I'll add them with your byline.
SgtMike
Site Sponsor 2015

Postby SgtMike » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:55 pm

Niner Alpha wrote:Thanks for adding the photos. I wasn't in Alpha until the end of January of 1970. Some of the guys...or most of the guys.... in the photos probably would have derosed by the time I got there. I think I may be able to recognize three of the photos but I'm not sure . I sent an email to someone who might be able to tell me if my guesses are right or not. Hope some other Alpha guys from the time will take a look and see if they can identify the people in the photos.

I think it is pretty likely that most of the photos were taken at Dong Tam.

Mirl Hollabough photos show the horseshoe scene at Dong Tam.

The top collage is from your photos and Mike Kirby's photos at Dong tam.

In the first horseshoe picture that man is in photo # 66_G Tierney's 1st album he is the man on the right
A true friend is someone who reaches
for your hand and touches your heart.

Return to “Memorial”