Cambodia incursion 48 years ago this month

Over the years there have been monthly collages. Most saluted different contributors to the Album. This new forum is just to keep the collages and remarks about them from being totally forgotten.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Cambodia incursion 48 years ago this month

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri May 11, 2018 3:21 pm

I just used photos from my album. Must be others from some of the other albums that I can't identify as in Cambodia, but this will do...considering how dead this site is nobody is likely to complain. The opening page is 6thofthe31st.com for those of you that only have the message board link saved and don't know what the "opening page" is.

The 6th of the 31st entered Cambodia on May 7, 1970 and Alpha Company pulled out on May 12. Alpha had been on the border of Cambodia at the Parrots Beak for a couple days the week before as a blocking force. The bombed out buildings in the one photo in the top right was of a village right on the border that we flew over on the way in.

Alpha was the first to Chantrea with I think first and second platoon. The burning supplies photo was taken at the North end of Chantrea on the first insertion. We were ordered back on the choppers and the birds circled the village going South and then West side two thirds the way up. We were inserted into what proved to be a hot LZ. You could hear the AK rounds going through the sides of the chopper like BB's through a beer can as we came in. It was just the beginning of quite an adventure. Third platoon was flown in shortly afterward. Over a couple of days the whole battalion came in a company at a time and surrounded....nearly surrounded...... Chantrea in an attempt to bottle up the enemy. The full show was on. Jets dropping bombs...that's what is happening with the smoke rising in one of the photos. The VC/NVA shooting mortars at us as well as machine guns. We were at max arty range, which wasn't good as only part of the village could be reached. There were some casualties in the battalion sustained on our side over several days. Eventually what was left of the enemy escaped through the South West end at night and it was to all over except some minor mopping up of a few stay behind diehards. After it was over each company went to other suspect locations and there was other contact .... but nothing as spectacular as Chantrea.
Attachments
collage.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Cambodia incursion 48 years ago this month

Postby Niner Delta » Sat May 12, 2018 2:16 pm

I missed that, by then I was stationed in Hawaii enjoying the beach with my wife..... it was
tough duty, but I stuck it out..... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Vern.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat May 12, 2018 2:31 pm

Well Vern, that beats Fort Sill Oklahoma as an alternative to Vietnam. Except for the fact that you were among those who knew better, the re-up recruiter in Hawaii must have had an easier job than most.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Sun May 13, 2018 5:58 pm

I did get sort of an attitude while I was clearing post in Hawaii, had to see the recruiter and I told him
I was a "20 year man" and he got a big smile until I said....."Yup, 3 in -- 17 out."..... he signed my paper
and I left.

Vern.

Return to “Opening page image”