What was said then...January 4, 1970

Topics of a general nature that relate to anything to do with the 6th Battalion 31st Infantry that served in Vietnam.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

What was said then...January 4, 1970

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:01 pm

My daughter told me about how I could access old newspapers from my home town online through the Mobile Public Library. So I picked a date. I picked January 4, 1970. That's the date I arrived in Vietnam. I went to the editorial page and read this piece by Russell Kirk. Kirk was a leading wise man of "Conservative" thought in the day with national status. Another William F. Buckley with at least as much academic and pedestrian philosophical credibility as Buckley or anyone else at that time. As I read this now I am reminded of a few things about the great divide between the US and the soldiers in Vietnam...and how really ignorant this guy was....although he pins it on his half brother Sgt. John on leave from Vietnam.

The Mobile Press Register from January 4, 1970. Left click the image to make larger if you need to in order to read.
Attachments
Kirk.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: What was said then...January 4, 1970

Postby Niner Delta » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:32 pm

His brother certainly had a higher opinion of the ARVNs than I did.... :roll:
And unless his brother finished his tour in VN, how did he get home on leave to
the States. I thought the closest you get to States on leave was to Hawaii.

Vern.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: What was said then...January 4, 1970

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:32 pm

The thing that gets me is that 26 more 6/31st guys died in 1970 after that guy said that the Arvins were doing all the fighting in the delta. Not counting the wounded.

At the time nobody knew about the Pentagon papers and what the office of the President really thought about what was happening and that they knew there would be no winning.

Return to “Vietnam Open Forum”