4th of July 2019

Topics of a general nature that relate to anything to do with the 6th Battalion 31st Infantry that served in Vietnam.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

4th of July 2019

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:47 pm

Most places in America there are gatherings and celebrations of one sort or the other. Fireworks will be seen all over the US in small towns and large. There will be home town parades and other things. And tonight...Donald will put on his big military show in Washington DC and order over the crowd all sort of military aircraft followed by his speech to America probably telling us how righteous and strong we are. A real pep talk just in time for a real possible war with Iran. Reminds me a little of one of the epic Hitler events filmed and produced by Leni Riefenstahl with lighting and uniformed masses and banners and the whole horror show production. I won't be watching.

In 1970...my year...and a couple months after the Cambodia Incursion. On this date:

1970: Nixon, in California, tapes a message that is played to crowds on the National Mall at an “Honor America Day” celebration organized by supporters and hotly protested by anti-war masses and civil rights activists. Tear gas overcomes protesters and celebrants alike, Viet Cong flags mingle with the Stars and Stripes, and demonstrators plunge into the reflecting pool, some naked.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: 4th of July 2019

Postby Niner Delta » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:10 pm

July 4, 1970 ..... I was exactly 2 weeks from being discharged, sitting in Hawaii just waiting to go home.
I don't remember anything about the 4th that year, just focused on getting out.
In another week the Army would ship my car and household goods to the states, then the last few days
were spent at the Princess Kaiulani hotel in Waikiki, courtesy of the US Army. Mostly lying on the beach
with my wife. Then flew to Oakland Army Terminal for final discharge.
My time in Hawaii, in a small way, kind of made up for my time in Nam............... :mrgreen:

Vern.

Return to “Vietnam Open Forum”