The first company commanders

Topics of a general nature that relate to anything to do with the 6th Battalion 31st Infantry that served in Vietnam.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

The first company commanders

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:14 pm

This is from a string I started on the facebook page that I'm continuing here.

Robert Stephens, original CO of Delta Company from Ft. Lewis days sent me a photo of the company commanders at Ft. Lewis several years back. Then he sent me a second photo of what I think was the replacements for these soldiers in Vietnam. According to one note in the timeline the Delta CO would have been replaced in September of 1968. The battalion got to Vietnam April 5, 1968. This would have been about right for a tour of field duty for a captain based on what I saw later. The names of the first officers are known and listed in Karl Lowe's Regiment history. What is not listed anywhere is who the second batch of officers were.

Now with normal rotation the whole battalion officer corps would have been replaced at about the same time, but what really happened I don't know. I do know that at some juncture early on the Army realized they had to reshuffle the enlisted men with other battalions in order to not have whole companies deros at the same time. A relatively large percentage of the first 6th of the 31st guys must have found themselves in other battalions before their tour ended because of this situation done to jumble up deros dates...the Army had a name for this that escapes me at the moment. As time moved on the reshuffle continued but with other men from other battalions and other divisions filling in the slots in battalion rosters starting with the end of the 1st and 2nd Brigade of the 9th and continuing until well into 1970 with the demise of the 1st Division.

The officers in this photo: Headquarters: Thomas Sullivan, Alpha: Channing Green, Bravo: Phillip Eckman, Charlie:William Owen, Delta: Robert Stephens, Echo: John DeVore.

See the photo in this link:

http://www.6thofthe31st.com/gallery/ind ... ocommander
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: The first company commanders

Postby Niner Alpha » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:17 pm

The replacement officers photo. This is a photo of officers that were among the first replacements of company commanders... If I remember Bob Stephens correctly. Does anybody have any idea who any of them are? They would have come along about September of 1968.

See the linked image.

http://www.6thofthe31st.com/gallery/ind ... tationDate

Return to “Vietnam Open Forum”