"beercan" pin on ebay

Topics of a general nature that relate to anything to do with the 6th Battalion 31st Infantry that served in Vietnam.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

"beercan" pin on ebay

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:06 pm

I check out ebay every once in a while for interesting stuff that comes to the surface..There was an original Regiment punch bowl cup once and often photos from generally the early days of the regiment show up. Just put in 31st infantry in the blank and anything with 31st in it comes up including 6th of the 31st related things. Recently I noticed a beercan pin exactly...but not quite..like a batch of pins made only one time in Vietnam in 1970 for Alpha Company. The pins made in Vietnam came with one flaw. They didn't have any fasteners on the back. So what was done was some attachments were gotten and then taped to the back of the pin. Mine is in my I love me decorations and trinket frame and the tape has held up these last 50 years.

The copy on ebay is being sold for $75.95 plus $4 shipping. But... it was made in Vietnam as it's only true source. The only thing not quite right that comes to the casual look is that this offering has pins soldered to the back. Never happened on the originals. These should be sold for about 10% of what the guy is asking. I suppose he is trying to pawn them off as genuine wartime artifacts.

The only way that enterprising soul could have gotten an image of the real pin and even known of it's existence is probably from this site. Here is an image I posted some years ago. Put in "31st Infantry beer can" in the slot on ebay if you want to see what I'm talking about. Below is a link to what I posted here on this site and that is now in the album section.

http://www.6thofthe31st.com/gallery/ind ... -Forum/pin
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: "beercan" pin on ebay

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:21 am

I sent the seller a message on ebay congratulating him on the very close to perfect face on that pin compared to the original. I also told him there was a obvious mistake on the back, without telling him what it was. I suggested if he had some more and listed them for about a tenth the asking price I'd direct some people to the listing. Never heard back but got a notice from ebay that the seller took an offer for about a third of what he started out asking.

Strange world isn't it? Who would have thought people would be making copies of that pin and trying to sell them on ebay for any price at all way back fifty years ago?

Return to “Vietnam Open Forum”