The Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund

Topics of a general nature that relate to anything to do with the 6th Battalion 31st Infantry that served in Vietnam.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

The Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:52 am

We all know that some names were added to the actual Washington DC Wall for people who died of wounds at some later date than the date they were wounded and not in the original wall list. But now there is an organization that calls itself the Vietnam Veterans Memorial fund. There is a website and even a facebook page. They picture and honor veterans that died after the war....long after in most cases...from related causes that may have been caused by Agent Orange or something like....or not...a half century later. There is one guy I picked at random who died at age 83 .... from Agent Orange it is said. A half century later even so. These noble warriors....or something like according to their next of kin.... get a reading at the Wall, a photo post and memorial on their website, and an official testament and.......... I think the family gets a t shirt each. Looks like the organization encourages donations. Seems ridiculous to me.

https://www.vvmf.org/In-Memory-Program/

https://www.vvmf.org/Honor-Roll/

And there is a facebook page as well. https://www.facebook.com/groups/InMemoryFamilies

Wonder if Urban Miyares knows about this production? He might make a note for his next of kin to remember the site.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: The Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund

Postby Niner Delta » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:50 pm

Seems like it would be tough to draw the line on Agent Orange deaths or natural deaths.
I'm sure many that died from what is considered A.O. related would have died from those
things anyway. So I guess that's not the point.
But hey, they served with us so they deserve some honors anyway.

Vern.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:26 pm

You got a point, Vern. It isn't like those who died after a full life were any less veterans of Vietnam who probably served honorably. At the same time there were more than a few men who died after Vietnam, at relatively young ages, who were indirectly killed by that war even with no visible wound or presumed link to Agent Orange. This project doesn't seem to focus on them. One guy I knew comes to mind that drank himself to an early death. Another comes to mind that committed suicide as a possible result of PTSD. However, when I look at this projects subjects I don't see a compelling connection to the war worthy of linking to the Vietnam Memorial in the people they list. It seems to me this project, although perhaps well intended, somehow diminishes the deaths of those who actually died in Vietnam by listing geriatric citizens of 80 something who died half a century after whatever their military adventures in Vietnam.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:35 pm

Where do you draw the line on what is Viet Nam related and who gets to decide?
Luckily it's not me.... :shock:

Vern.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:22 pm

There is no rule of thumb I wouldn't think.....just make it up as you see fit. I do know that when I kick the bucket Vietnam won't have anything to do with it. Probably medical malpractice is a much larger possibility.

Return to “Vietnam Open Forum”