So where was this monument and the story of why

Topics of a general nature that relate to anything to do with the 6th Battalion 31st Infantry that served in Vietnam.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

So where was this monument and the story of why

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:30 pm

Saw this on ebay. It is a photo of what looks like a cement monument with a plaque that dedicates it to the 3rd Brigade of the 9th in June of 1969. This would have been about the same time as the 1st and 2nd Brigades were pulling out of Vietnam leaving the 3rd Brigade opcon to the 25th Division although remaining under the banner of the 9th Division. At that time the 6/31st was moved from the 1st Brigade to the 3rd and remained in Vietnam. Could this "monument" have been planned before the announced plan to leave the 3rd Brigade in Vietnam?

The photo would have been an official press photo from the 9th Division that would...or could .. have been used in any 9th Division publication or handed out to the press for use in the US.
Attachments
June 1969.jpg
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Re: So where was this monument and the story of why

Postby Delta75 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:32 am

Good question...I was there in June of 1969 but I don't remember it. If it is real, it was probably placed at Dong Tam...but...in my time in Vietnam, I never spent more than a hand full of days in Dong Tam.....spent most of my time from Feb - Sept at small fire-bases. Sept - Jan was spent with MACV at Can Duoc.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:38 am

The photo is real enough. I'm acquainted with the guy selling it as I bought something from him before out of curiosity. See this post.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4013&p=9508&hilit=Last+publication+of+the+9th#p9508

The photos came from old 9th Division public relations photos that were found in a flea market some years ago by someone who collects and sells such things. Some of the photos, like the one I bought, I recognized as from the "last publication of the 9th". Others he is selling came from the Go Devil news or the 9th Division paper. He's got three batches that have 6/31st connections. The one I'm asking about is in this group.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/23-VIETNAM-31st ... 1438.l2649
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:10 pm

In another group of his photos, it shows the writing on the back with a couple of familiar names......
I think it this photo of them standing next to a OH-6 LOH.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/22-VIETNAM-31st ... 1965841356

Attachments
Lowe.jpg
Lowe 2.jpg
Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:07 pm

I think some of the information strips are not aligned with the photos. That one with the LOH doesn't look like Gearin and that's not Karl Lowe. Gearin was on the tall side and Lowe was on the short side. Gearin had to have been over 6ft. tall and Lowe maybe at five seven or so. There is another photo with Gearin and Lowe that had come up in another batch of photos previously. Who those people are next to the LOH I have no idea.

Probably the tag to that photo is the one half bent over that names Francia and Joseph Calhoun is what probably goes with that one.

Crowder was the LNO from sometime early in 1970. There is another photo of him on the C&C with Gearin in another batch of photos that may or may not be in one of the batches for sale.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:53 pm

Since I don't really remember what either one of them looked like, I was just trying to match
captions to photos........ :D

Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:09 pm

No problem, Vern. Gearin and Lowe were there after you.

I thought I posted the actual photo that goes with the Gearin and Lowe here on the site from a newspaper link...but I couldn't find it ....until now.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2882&p=6428&hilit=Go+Devil#p6428

Return to “Vietnam Open Forum”