Delta company made the Ken Burns epic

Topics of a general nature that relate to anything to do with the 6th Battalion 31st Infantry that served in Vietnam.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Delta company made the Ken Burns epic

Postby Niner Alpha » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:37 am

Got this email sent out to Delta guys and unknown others besides myself.

Hi All....I can't believe this......I was watching Episode 8 on the Ken Burns Vietnam War series...and.....22 minutes into the episode there is a picture of men from our platoon....3rd Herd, 1969 (probably ~ May 1969). Bobby McKnight (no beard or mustache) is up front with a machine gun on his shoulder.....I am in the back right...if you freeze the pane and move it forward slowly...you will see the top of a guy's head in the back right...he has dark brown hair and is wearing a green sweat band on his head (instead of a hat)...that is me. Lieutenant (Mercurio) is in the middle...he is wearing the cap.

I also recognize several other of our men...Willie Thomas, Mark Roggeman, Eli Ford, Ray Borja (Guam)...also looks like Bob Frenyea, James Sparks, James Medley, Johny Kinard....hazy memory of a few faces...maybe you guys could take a look and see who else you can identify.

Wow! We made the big time! :)

Jerry
Attachments
DSC07360.jpg
DSC07362.jpg
DSC07364.jpg
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Delta company made the Ken Burns epic

Postby Niner Delta » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:05 pm

I haven't seen this episode yet. Any idea where this was.....Dong Tam..Vinh Kim...FB Moore...??
I was with Delta by then, but don't remember any camera men. Except maybe once at Vinh Kim.

Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.
Delta75
Gobal Moderator and Site sponsor 2012

Postby Delta75 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:13 pm

We never had press with us.....I believe that this picture was taken when we were returning to Dong Tam in one of those landing craft boats that they used to drop us off,every now and then, along the canals. We had just been informed that the 9th was going to be pulled out and returned to the states. Of course, most of the men in this picture were not in the bunch going home. Most of these guys stayed and were moved later from Dong Tam to Can Giuoc. I guess the press was looking for a picture, and we were convenient.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Postby Niner Delta » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:12 pm

I did see the irony of the narrator talking of the 9th being pulled out of the delta while showing
a unit that didn't leave with the 9th. I was luckier, my artillery unit, C Btry 1/11th, did go to Hawaii.
There the 9th was disbanded within a month or two and those of us that weren't shipped all over the
states, stayed in Hawaii to form the 4th Brigade of the 25th Div (which was in Nam), whose home
was Schofield Barracks. So I guess basically, the 9th became the 25th.

Vern

Any restaurant's a drive-thru if you go fast enough.

Return to “Vietnam Open Forum”