Another fallen comrade

Fall in. Answer up. Be accounted for. Post a memory, photo, greeting or question. If nothing else post that you are still alive because some of us are likely to be glad you did.
Ron
Sponsor 2016

Another fallen comrade

Postby Ron » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:43 am

I just learned that we've lost another member of our Company to cancer on July 22nd of this year, that being Larry Essenburg of Holland, MI. I had the chance to visit with Larry and his wife Connie sometime ago where he expressed his wishes to not maintain contact with any of his Vietnam buddies. Over the years I tried getting back with him, but no luck! Larry was 67 years young at the time of his passing. Larry and I served in the same platoon with Jim MacMaster, Roger Mowery and Bob Johnston. :(

Pro Patria
Charlie Salisbury
Contributing Member

Re: Another fallen comrade

Postby Charlie Salisbury » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:13 am

Ron, do you by any chance have a picture of the soldier?
Charlie "Tripper" Salisbury
Ron
Sponsor 2016

Postby Ron » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:40 pm

Charlie,

In the showing of my photos with Delta Co. album go to #53 I believe, and you'll see some of my platoon members sitting around playing cards. On the far right is Larry Essenburg with black hair & sort of dark skin (http://www.6thofthe31st.com/gallery/ind ... ond2/dad26).
Have posted the link to that photo, if it works. Larry is also sitting on our bunker on the right in the 1st set of pictures taken at Nha Be.

I have a few better shots of Larry at home (presently out of town) on a DVD Robert Hill sent me. Will look into it when I get back in a couple weeks, of that's Ok with you.

Regards,
Ron
Charlie Salisbury
Contributing Member

Postby Charlie Salisbury » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:01 am

Ron, as always thanks for talking to me, I will check out the photos and see if I remember him. While I am in the site, I want to tell all the soldiers to check in with the VA if they have not. I am blessed that they tell me I am 130 per cent fried. 100 percent PTSD, 30 per cent Agent Orange symptoms. Please go to VA, they have a thing called Fast Track for Nam combat vets. I remember Jerry had talk about this subject, go if you have not. I have a hard time with pain, dreams, etc, so if you guys have not gone to VA, go!
Charlie Salisbury
Contributing Member

Postby Charlie Salisbury » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:32 pm

I just wanted to talk about William Harp, he was I think the last soldier killed in D CO. We were standing on some dikes, the birds were in bound for us to make another CA., I was maybe 4 ft. from him, he had a radio on his back, then he just fell down! We thought he had a heart attack, they would not give the info on him at all, finally they said he was shot under his arm, really weird, no blood at all! They said the dink was very close to make that shot. He was from Pompano Beach, close to my home in Tamarac, in Florida. I am going to try and find his family.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Postby Niner Alpha » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:02 pm

We used to have his photo in the list of those killed in Vietnam. The image inclusion thing went by the board on an update and hasn't been added back beyond the Wall images. Here is a photo of William Harp.
Attachments
William Harp.jpg
William Harp.jpg (21.57 KiB) Viewed 445 times
Charlie Salisbury
Contributing Member

Postby Charlie Salisbury » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:41 pm

Robert, that is him, that is him, wow! What really bothers me is the way the war ended, how we were treated for many years after we came home, all for nothing! After Tet, the American Army, with air power, could have won it!!! It is so sad.
Ron
Sponsor 2016

Postby Ron » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:44 am

Charlie,

Finally go to looking for that CD of Delta Co. that Robert Hill sent me. Larry, Hai (Tiger Scout) & Lt. Hill are showing us at Nha Be outside our so-called 'bunker' that was put together in about 1 day.
Not sure if you would remember Larry, but glad to post his photo.
Attachments
EssenbergHaiHill.jpg
Taken at Nha Be, Shell Oil.
Charlie Salisbury
Contributing Member

Postby Charlie Salisbury » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:12 pm

You know I think I remember him, then a blank. Just not sure, I hope he was ok after the war, most of us weren't ok, that's for sure! Thanks for the info Ron, can't really say I remember him.

Return to “Delta Company”