1st time VA user - Need help.

Fall in. Answer up. Be accounted for. Post a memory, photo, greeting or question. If nothing else post that you are still alive because some of us are likely to be glad you did.
Niner Alpha
Site Admin

Re: 1st time VA user - Need help.

Postby Niner Alpha » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:56 pm

Randy, I think having this site and having made contact with guys I served with and also with guys like you who served there in the same battalion, even though sometimes in different years and different companies, has done a lot to help me make peace with my Vietnam memories. In addition to the site a major thing for me is that we do this chat thing on skype every Thursday night too. It's hard to believe it, even for me, but several of us show up every Thursday night without fail, if we are near a computer and have a connection to the internet...and all show up right on time. We've been doing it for years now. Maybe it's a case of "I'm ok and you're ok" ...or something like that keeps us hanging in. And the most amazing thing is that we only now and again talk about Vietnam.

Keep up the effort to make peace with your memories Randy. Your reports will help all of us in the long run. Maybe there is somebody reading this that will get some help after reading what you are posting.
Charlie Salisbury
Contributing Member

Postby Charlie Salisbury » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:33 pm

I am so grate full to be able to hear another Nam soldier talking about their battles in their mind from this war!
My contribution to this situation is small, I hope your ending to this will be as good as mine ended up, that,s for sure! May GOD keep you through this time, you certainly are owed it!
Charlie "Tripper" Salisbury
Randyw

Postby Randyw » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:51 pm

A question to those who have had either gone through the program I am embarking on or have otherwise tried successfully to get their VA disability increased, adjusted or set up in the first place. The question is; about how long does this process take? I realize it is different for each individual, and the variables probably include the VA facility you were involved with, one's particular military history, the doctor who gets assigned to you, and I am thinking, at least in the case where PTSD is being considered, the time spent with a Psychologist or Psychiatrist. Just a ball park figure would be nice.

One thing that Robert alluded to was the chance to talk to others who served, maybe not at the same time, but the same units and a lot of us under the same circumstance, helped him make peace with his memories. I believe there is some merit to that. I am not sure whether I am ready for that yet and while I will admit, the one re-union I did attend, down in Georgia, was close to therapeutic and cathartic in nature for me. However, it was about all I could do to face those I served with, and have not been able to do another one since. It did not have anything to do with those with which I served as to the reason I had difficulty facing them, it has been and continues to be the demons I am haunted by. Some might say, it is all in his head, and they's be right. My journey now is to hopefully change my demons to just memories.

Having never shied away from saying I am proud of my service and of those i served with, it is the twisted spin put on my memories that continue to intercede on my daily life in ways that are both detrimental and unforeseen; a fact that I have only recently come to terms with in both trying to understand and to vanquish from my mind. Thankfully, all who have commented and read my posts here have contributed to my beginning this trek and I, again, am very grateful.

Still, Ron, Charlie, and Robert have provided insight, understanding, and a first person narrative that has really helped me get started with this process. I plan on making it through to the end, regardless of where that takes me. These first steps would not have been possible without the contrabution of all who have commented and read my postings here.

Thanks for everything.

Randy Whitaker
Delta Company
1968 - 1969
Charlie Salisbury
Contributing Member

Postby Charlie Salisbury » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:51 am

I guess in my case Randy, I was pretty well messed up, so much so, that I was classified inside of 45 days and put on this program called The Fast Trac for Nam combat vets. They also had notes from me freaking out in a hospital, I was in the middle of dreams of ambushes I had set, they thought the pain medicine some how triggered that. Then I had gone to a Ft. Myers Vet center because in my mind I was coming unglued, the man I spoke to several times was a VA doc who was involved in Nam combat vets, just knew what to say to trigger my mind. He had me to draw out an ambush I set with the Cav. after I was done he got up and came over to me and told me to stand up, I was completely soaked in sweat, just plain agitated I guess, did not realize it at all. He took me to the VA at FT. Myers, the rest is history. I believe in the VA, and just by reading your notes, believe that you are going to get the help you need! In my case they keep me with a Doc every 90 days, in the group sessions I seem to cut up, they say because of nerves. It is very hard to talk about Nam, I am not at peace with every thing that I did over there, it is very hard for me to think I was involved in the things I did. Just very hard to talk about, in due time I hope to get pass alot of my demons. Randy, keep pushing forward, you will finally get to a place where combat vets can see they are not such bad folks after all. GOD has put you here for a reason, you have suffered enough! Charlie
Randyw

Postby Randyw » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:47 pm

I hope everyone has a very satisfying Thanksgiving.

I have been through another session with Ms. Beltran. I have had to continue to dig deeper into those memories to draw out the emotions that a "Regular Person would have felt" before, during, and after those events that occurred to us, or me, in this case, over in Vietnam as a result of my combat experience. After each time I think I have remembered what happened, how I felt, what exactly took place, it seems I come up with another memory, not necessarily bad, just another piece of the puzzle as I try to put the thoughts in an order she can use to help assist me in my upcoming visit to the VA.

I still don't really get when Ms. Beltran says she is looking for those emotions that a "Regular person might have felt" not just the facts of an incident. I mean, for a regular person to be thrown into the hell of combat, without any training, without any sense of duty, or camaraderie, they would probably go crazy. The intensity of the whole event would be so overwhelming, a "Regular" person, would probably curl up in the fetal position and hope for a quick death. That's the problem I am having; we all were "regular people" until Uncle Sam got his hands on us. Then he rode us, beat us, marched us, ran us, and disciplined us right into what we turned into when an enemy, any enemy, tried to take our lives. We got angry, especially when one of our own would get injured or die and there was no one to take it out on, i.e., the booby-trap. With every explosion, with every cry of anguish, you got just a little more angry, a little more determined, and a little more focused on destroying the person or persons who were trying to kill you. Yet, most of time, the enemy was nowhere to be seen. I can't speak to everyone's thought on the matter, however, I can only say my anger grew to a point and festered there until I could find an outlet to get it off my chest, out of my mind, and direct that anger at someone or something. One of those outlets for me was January 12th, 1969. There were others, but that night in January when I kept getting shot at, kept getting wounded, really set me off. I took that rage out on the VC that night, trouble was, they took it out on me as well, and people died around me, my fellow comrades were wounded and were killed.

Regular people don't normally have that kind of rage nor do they live in such an unfriendly environment, and things I have been forced to remember were not, and are not pretty. If people died, did I do enough, should I have controlled my rage and stayed in one place instead of moving around to fight those fucking enemy soldiers who were trying to kill all of us. It was a decision I made for survival, did I make the right one? Could I have done more, should I have done more? I hadn't thought about that guilt for a very long time. That is one of the things that digging into those memories uncovered; a thought I had on the Dust-Off ride back to Dong Tam that night, right up until I felt that strange sensation of anesthetic rising in my throat as I finally succumbed to the doctor's effort to put me under.

So "What do I think a regular person would feel" seems like a stretch to me. A regular person would not have survived I think, a regular person would not have a clue. Still we were soldiers, we did what soldiers always do, we fight, not for some old fart in our government hierarchy, but for each other. I saw much bravery, I saw much courage, and even with their best effort, some still died, some still came away wounded, and most, myself for sure, came away changed. Changed in a not so very good way. Although, I felt a damn site better after being able to see, shoot at, and kill the enemy even though they did their best, I'm sure, to kill me.

There are still some things, I feel I am not releasing from those deep recesses of my mind, the guilt was one I had not thought about in a very, very long time. I think there may be more, different feelings a "Regular" soldier might feel, not so much a "Regular person" might feel. Those memories; they seem to still be buried and my mind is fighting back, not wanting to make it easy to uncover and to have to confront those emotions again.

I know, or think I know, I should confront those emotions to become whole again. The trouble, or the success, depends on how you look at it, I had putting those emotions down, burying them deep in the abyss of my mind and keeping them covered up all these long years, never to rear their ugly head again are beginning to stir. As a result of that successful burial so many years ago; I was able to live a pretty decent life, a life where no one but my deepest sub-conscientious was allowed to peek and it rarely, if ever did. Now with all this "Regular" people crap, it's beginning to bubble to the surface again. I am not sure I like the idea of that. Still, I am pressing forward, because I have heard and read, just on these pages alone, others who have gone before me have had various levels of success, I would like that as well.

It's those stories and and their frank, and to me, comforting, revelations that help me keep moving forward.

Thanks to all.

Randy Whitaker
Delta Company
1968 - 1969
Ron
Sponsor 2016

Postby Ron » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:46 am

Randy,

Just wanted to say thanks for your appreciation of my help in you seeking a source of support for your ongoing condition(s). Please pass it on to any and all other Veterans who might be seeking service connected aid, to contact Vet Centers in their area or veteran organizations.
The assistance and processing is there for all of us, whether it's Korean, Vietnam or gulf era & middle eastern veterans. Don't wait until things become desperate and you're fitting another hurting battle long after experiencing combat. Do yourself a favor Veterans and seek that help that's available to all of us! :o

Welcome Home!
Charlie Salisbury
Contributing Member

Postby Charlie Salisbury » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:31 am

I am very happy that you are moving forward in this inner battle. I go along Randy thinking Iam really cleaning up my emotions and stuff, then bang, Iam right back there, right in the middle of some incident. It is very hard for me to get rid of Nam, just really hard for me. Also the VA does not want some of the soldiers I did battle with, around me you know? They say some of them are a bad influence on me.I suspect its the other way around, maybe I am the bad influence, you know? Keep up the fight, you will see a big change in yourself soon!
Randyw

Postby Randyw » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Ron makes an excellent point regarding all veterans need to seek assistance from the services that are available. I personally wished I had followed his sage advice years ago. Regardless of how this turns out, without taking advantage of the services offered to us, I can guarantee the outcome, NO CHANGES. At least now, thanks to the support and the prior experience of Ron, Charlie, Robert, Jerry, and others have had with VA services offered to veterans, I am taking these steps now. I know everyone's circumstances are different, however, I can say, now that I am "In" the process, I really do wish I had started this earlier. Just as Ron alluded to, no matter the conflict, Korea, Vietnam, the Middle East, you have served, you have earned, and it is an entitlement that came from your blood, sweat, and tears. If you chose to brave the VA system today, you could be mildly or even wildly surprised by the outcome.

I will continue to share my experiences as I move through this process for medical assistance, for psychological assistance, for evaluation of any conditions I may have developed while in Service to this country. If any of you find this useful; seek out a VA counselor, seek advice from a VA representative at your local VFW, D.A.V., or other veteran related service organization, or go straight into the fire on your own. I am hoping I can say, "It's better late than never" so far it seems to be that way. Again, it will be different for each of us. Some will have to face demons that have been put, not so neatly, away for a very long time, others, whose demons still roam wild, will have a vastly different experience, I think.

In my personal journey, I have been directed to make contact with a psychiatrist as part of my evaluation, and one thing the Doc said made a lot of sense to me. "When you keep those emotions and feelings bundled up tight and believe you are in control of your emotional baggage and do not speak of them, they do not go away, they continue to influence you, on the other hand, should you chose to confront them, talk about them, deal with them, understand their influence over you, you will gain power over those emotions and return to a more normal life." Not sure exactly what that is, however, I wouldn't mind finding out.

Good, Bad, or, Ugly, regardless of how this process plays out, I can tell you now; now that I have begun, I wish I had started down this path much earlier than I did. if you're thinking about this, or you have emotions you are not or cannot control, or you feel you want to move forward with more emotional control in your life, please, consider the services that are available to all veterans.

Thanks,

Randy Whitaker
Delta Company
1968 - 1969
Charlie Salisbury
Contributing Member

Postby Charlie Salisbury » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:03 pm

Randy, for me it changed my life immediately. To be able to sit with a Doctor and find and touch emotions that are in me from combat has been a life saver. I am not the same guy from 3 years a go, it's hard to explain I guess, for me the VA has been a wonder. They listen to you, their observations of me have really helped me to better cope with my life. I don't have education, it's hard for me to tell you the things on paper, I would be able to tell everyone better if we were just talking. God has truely blessed me with the VA I am involved with. I only hope Randy, that you will have the same possible out come that I did. I too wish that I had delt with this earlier in my life, but really after 5-6 turn aways, I just never went back. On what I know about my self now, I would of tried for help much more, that's for sure. Keep punching Randy, I believe something good for you shall come!

Return to “Delta Company”